Re: Can't Get Past Stage 1 (I can't boot to YDL)

Subject: Re: Can't Get Past Stage 1 (I can't boot to YDL)
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 14:40:39 MST

Chris Luth wrote:

>WARNING: NEWBIE ALERT
>Equipment: G4 350 MHz PCI graphics (Yikes! board)
>OS 10.1.3, but we really don't care about that
>Somewhere along the line in the last few weeks I lost the yaboot thing. I
>recently found a fix for that on the YDL website, Here it is:
>
>If yaboot fails to execute after installing YDL 2.1
>After install, reboot and hold the "c" key. Once you get to boot options,
>type the following:
>
>cd-linux root=/dev/<linux root partition> [ENTER]
>(where <linux root partition> may be, for example, hda7 or sda6, but without
>the < and >) Then:
>
>/usr/sbin/ybin [ENTER]
>
>I followed the instructions up until right before typing in /usr/sbin/ybin.
>After doing the cd-linux root stuff, it began booting in Linux.

Yeah all that looks correct.

>Then at the
>login: prompt I got a strange error. It said (from memory, don't trust me!)
>something about a pid being already active according to some file, but
>"something must have murdered it" or similar words. The screen would then
>begin flashing and blanking out and being wild, and then a copy of the
>message would appear below the first one, except with a different pid
>number. This repeats indefinitely.

This is your X server trying to start up but there is something wrong
with it's configuration which you should investigate and fix.

All this must be done as root. (Remember to login as root or to become
root with "su -" so as to execute the root login scripts.)

To start with, change you system's default run-level to 3 (edit
/etc/inittab).
Make sure the system is at runlevel 3:
telinit 3

Now you should investigate your X problems. Look in
/var/log/XFree86.log.0 for error messages. Test X by running the command
startx

You may also find Xconfigurator to be useful.

When you've got it all OK, you can put the system run-level back to 5,
which will start XWindows on startup.

>What's the fix for this? And I still don't have the yaboot selection screen
>available to me on normal restarts...only with the YDL CD in and holding
>down C.

Upgrade yaboot and try again. I had this problem with the version of
yaboot that came with ydl 2.1, but upgrading fixed it.

Ben.