Re: security port scan at www.grc.com

Subject: Re: security port scan at www.grc.com
From: Ben Stanley (bds02@uow.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 15:07:53 MST

joe strafach wrote:

> I was at www.grc.com and peformed a security scan. All ports were
> closed except port 113 which is open. This is the IDENT port.

To give you a useful reply, you probably didn't start this service - it
was probably turned on by default. To turn it off, become root, and run
setup.
Select the 'System Services' option
Find identd on the list
Make sure it's unchecked.
Select OK.
Changes will become current when you re-start. To make this change
effective immediately, run
service identd stop

And if you want to be really sure that you've got all your ports closed
I'd be asking a friend to nmap your machine rather than using grc.com
(I'd never heard of him before, but from the sounds of it I'd not go
near that site with a barge pole!)

Ben.