Re: Star Office and Power Mac chip incompatibility?

Subject: Re: Star Office and Power Mac chip incompatibility?
From: Patrick Smith (patsmith@pobox.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 22:16:18 MST

Cal Grandy wrote:

> No it says executable in the properties. And it's supposed to be run
> just as it is; the Sun website says so. Others have said it gave them
> problems and the advice they got was to chmod 777 on it, then execute it
> with ./"file". None of that works for me. I've tried it numerous times
> from a root terminal window with no result, except for it saying it
> can't run it. I downloaded it more than once thinking I might have
> gotten a bad download.

Are you sure you have a PowerPC version? According to
http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/5.2/details.html#platforms,
Star Office only runs on these platforms:

* Solaris Operating Environment (SPARC or Intel Architecture Platform
Edition), version 8, 7, 2.6, or 2.5.1
* Linux kernel 2.0.x or higher and glibc2 version 2.1 or 2.0.7 on x86
compatible hardware
* Microsoft Windows 2000, 98, 95, NT 4.0

Try using 'file' to identify your binary.

--
patsmith@pobox.com