Re: Screen resolutions (now Xconfigurator and auto-testing)

Subject: Re: Screen resolutions (now Xconfigurator and auto-testing)
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Sun Mar 17 2002 - 22:32:18 MST

On Sunday 17 March 2002 02:17 pm, Eric D. wrote:
> Can you give me an idea of what you do to get to that point? I've never had
> Xconfigurator test anything (or xf86config for that matter, or when I was
> doing the install the first time around). Does Xconfigurator ask you for
> feedback or does it try to guess whether the combo refresh rate +
> resolution was correct?

It should do this right after "select Video modes"

>One final question: how do I kill X-Windows once it's running? I presume I
>can prevent it from running by setting things to do a "text login" on reboot
>but how do I kill X-Windows once it's already running?

You can do this by logging out, or if you have the X login configured (GUI
login as opposed to console/text login) type killall X in a terminal window.

once you are dumped to a console screen, then run Xconfigurator.

My personal advice is to NOT run the GUI login - its easier to type "startx"
and the geek factor is much higher for your Mac/Windows only friends -
especially if booting into gnome running Enlightenment.

:-)

--
 Robert Brandtjen