Re: YDL 2.1 & G3 B&W: Restoring yaboot parameters

Subject: Re: YDL 2.1 & G3 B&W: Restoring yaboot parameters
From: Patrick Ladam (ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 13:43:58 MST

Hi people,

I had to face the same problem witht the same machine and finally came

out with a solution aftre a long struggle. This is not a new question ,

it has been answered already. Maybe you guys at YDL could update the

html pages on the site so that same questions don't come back endlessly.

Here is the content of a mail I sent a few month ago after mailing

to Ethan Benson the guy who wrote Ybin, thanks to him I could get Yaboot

to work. It comes from a problem with yabin that dose not always

recognizes the correct boot-device so you have to put it by hand, Here

is the recipe:

Hi people,

  Finally I got ybin to work on my B/W G3, I got some help from Ethan

  Benson (author of yaboot) and of course from all the people here

  in the mail-list that helped me to track that problem down.

  Here is how I could solve this:

  1) Re-initialize the PRAM (holding Alt+Apple+p+r upon reboot).

  My PRAM had a few variables not correctly set (I messed them

  playing too much in the OF probably...).

  2) Choose (Re-choose) my startup disk with the startup-disk

  control panel in MacOS. This is very important as it revives

  the correct boot-device in the OF.

  thanks to step 2. At this point you might check if everything

  is OK by simply typing 'boot' in the OF (not mac-boot), if all

  is fine it should boot MacOS. Otherwise go back to 1) and 2).

  4) Now in the OF simply change the end of the boot device variable

  from :\\"tbxi to ofboot.b or yaboot

  see you bootstrap partition mounted on the Mac desktop. You can

  then edit and change your ofboot.b and change the boot-device

  parameters as required.

  6) Reboot and enjoy yaboot...

  I have to precise that I have a second non-bootable ADAPTEC SCSI

  card for external drives. After discussion with Ethan Benson it

  might be possible that ofpath (a routine in ybin) does not see

  the internal SCSI card correctly because of this additional external

  card. The other possibility is that my P-RAM and boot-device were

  set completely wrong in the OF and ofpath got miss-guided because

  of this. I have some home-work to do by Ethan to check that out

  and I will keep you informed with all hardware information too

  (boot-device, additional card...I don't have it with me today).

  ThanX to all that gave me a helping hand!!!

And don't listen to people who say your PRAM is dead...

Bye

| Patrick LADAM | |
| Laboratoire CSSB | THE BIG BANG THEORY: |
| UFR SMBH | |
| 74 rue Marcel Cachin | In the begining there was |
| 93017 Bobigny CEDEX | nothing at all. |
| >>> NEW e-mail: <<< | |
| ladam@smbh.smbh.univ-paris13.fr | Then, it exploded... |
| Tel: 01 48 38 77 26 / 76 85 | |
| Fax: 01 48 38 77 77 | |