RE: GUI File Sharing

Subject: RE: GUI File Sharing
From: Ferwerda Darren (app3dxf) (app3dxf@ups.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 12:41:32 MST

Drew,

        IF you setup FTP or NFS on a Linux or any other UNIX machine, you
can use any file manager to move files around. All you need to do is add a
mount point (/mnt/remote_drive), and mount the network drive (mounting a
network drive tells the computer to access X drive on Y machine, Windows
does this automatically for you by showing you the computer that you can
connect to in Network Neighborhood). Correct me if I am wrong, but VFS
(Virtual File System) in GMC (GNU Midnight Commander, which is the windows
explorer of GNOME) allows you to mount both FTP sites, and once you mount a
network drive, you can access the regular filesystem (/mnt/remote_drive)
right in the gui. More can be added to this explanation, and I am probably
missing some key point that you may or may not understand.

Darren