Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@fmtc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 19:18:15 MST

>i browsed the FTP site and didnt see the 2.2 available for download
>yet. but
>i did see an ETerm RPM(!!!). so yeah... can someone enlighten me?

Take a look on your Tasty Morsels CD. Enlightenment (as well as Eterm)
is there for the installing if you need it. Took two seconds here to
find it and 5 or so to install (this old ANS is only 200 MHz after all).
Works fine on this old machine -- better and more stable than sawfish.

I'm sorry that many of you have had so many problems. YDL has always
installed easily on the iMacs I run it on and even if the install is a
little more difficult on an ANS, it has always gone well. I, for one,
feel it is a project worth supporting and have purchased every release
since 1.2. I've got a stable secure server that works very well for my
needs -- granted I'm not a multinational conglomerate and I'm not major
league unix guru, but YDL provides all my needs and then some .

I normally don't participate in discussions such as these, but enough is
enough, so here goes:

<rant mode engaged>
Yeah, sound support is a bit flaky and is not completely ironed out, but
I am not entirely convinced that this is all TerraSoft's fault.Yeah, you
can get Linux to run beautifully on a decked out Pentium box. This is
merely because there are a boatload more people working on x86 Linux
than there is PowerPC Linux.Compare RH's (or any other x86
distro's)staff to TerraSoft.Notice any disparity? Yeah, you can get
newest RH (or insert your own x86 distro flavor here) releases as free
downloads immediately. Conversely, the folks at YDL (which is a very
small company as firms go) really only get their operating revenue from
the sale of specialty niche hardware and CD sales near as I know and
they serve a relatively tiny portion of the market. How can you continue
development if you can't pay your staff or, further, attract new staff?
Yeah, you can build a dream box from Intel based hardware for peanuts
and Mac hardware is less flexible and more expensive. There are those of
us, however,who flat out refuse to support the Wintel hegemony
(otherwise known as the Axis of Evil)in any way, shape, or form.I'm glad
some of you are happy with your Intel/RH setups, but there are those of
us for which that situation just won't do.I think that TSS has done
amazingly well with the limited resources they command.As for support, I
can't think of a time when I didn't get an answer to a question when I
asked directly and politely. Hell, I didn't even pay them any support
fees, but rather merely bought the distro CDs from them directly.
<rant mode disengaged>

My point being (finally) -- if YDL doesn't get support from the
community they serve, they can't provide support to the community they
serve.Yeah, sure, they aren't everything to everybody, but my impression
is that they are working hard to get it right with the resources they
have.

I, for one, will continue my support of the experiment in progress.

My kevlar underwear is on -- feel free to flame away :) .

Pat

--
Embrace the penguin...