Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 20:11:47 MST

At 11:43 AM -0600 3/18/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:

>IBM ultra star drives are
>7200 RPM IDE and are excellent drives - they cost quite a bit more then the
>drives Apple uses.

IBM's UltraStar line is SCSI -- the IDE line is called "DeskStar". I
don't know where you got the idea that Apple uses cheaper drives than
that, since Apple frequently does select IBM as a source for disks,
both IDE and SCSI, and does perform qualification testing before
committing to shipping any given disk drive in their products. (As
does any large computer company, to at least some extent.)

BTW, right now I would stay away from IBM drives. IBM recommends
operating its current 120GXP family (7200 RPM IDE disks ranging from
20 to 120 GB) no more than 333 power on hours per month (it's in the
spec sheet!). Totally unsuitable for a server, and I wouldn't even
use such a drive in a home machine. What's more, the nonrecoverable
error rate is an order of magnitude worse than competing drive
families from Maxtor and Western Digital.

IBM dominated in quality and performance for several years, but
starting with the 75GXP series they've been dropping the ball.

--
Tim Seufert