Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2002 - 22:55:56 MST

At 9:46 PM -0600 3/18/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>On Monday 18 March 2002 09:11 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>> IBM's UltraStar line is SCSI -- the IDE line is called "DeskStar". I
>> don't know where you got the idea that Apple uses cheaper drives than
>> that, since Apple frequently does select IBM as a source for disks,
>> both IDE and SCSI, and does perform qualification testing before
>> committing to shipping any given disk drive in their products. (As
>> does any large computer company, to at least some extent.)
>http://generalnanosystems.com/hardware/ide_hard_drives2.htm
>
>Hmm - i own two of them at present - they all say "ultrastar on them"
>remember i noted that i put an ATTO SCSI card in it - after I built it.
>Generalnano no longer has them in stock - only cheetahs now, so I didn't list
>them.

Trust me, if they're IDE, they're DeskStar (or TravelStar for 2.5"
notebook drives). You don't have to believe me on this -- just look
at IBM's page that lists all hard drive models they've ever built:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/table.htm

>>BTW, right now I would stay away from IBM drives. IBM recommends
>>operating its current 120GXP family (7200 RPM IDE disks ranging from
>>20 to 120 GB) no more than 333 power on hours per month (it's in the
>>spec sheet!).
>
>that was posted on /. a while back - but those aren't these drives - please
>see this link - http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/desk/ds60gxp.htm instead.

Unfortunately IBM doesn't seem to be manufacturing the 60GXP series
any more. If you're in the market right now, 120GXP is most likely
what you'll get, unless you find some old stock. Thus my
recommendation to stay away. ("120GXP" is a family which includes
drives ranging from 20 to 120 GB -- a 60 GB drive can be a 120GXP.
The IBM IDE drives General Nanosystems lists are all in the 120GXP
family.)

BTW, a point which should be made if you're going to advocate
building PCs yourself (which I am not against; I've done it numerous
times myself) is that many of the cheap components offered by
companies like General Nanosystems are OEM parts with no warranty.
You can automatically assume that anything which says "OEM" is (a)
probably from the gray market and (b) has zero support beyond the
seller's return policy (if any).

This is not any kind of commentary on the quality of the components
you can get this way. It's just that you do not have one of the
safety nets you would normally expect. If it breaks, too bad, you're
stuck with it. Warranty service is part of what you get when you pay
extra for a preassembled system, or even when you pay extra for a
non-OEM component.

--
Tim Seufert