Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")

Subject: Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")
From: Pete Peters (ppeters914@attbi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:13:59 MST

Jeff,

1. It's been suggested that you check w/ the Linux/PPC on NuBus Macs
<http://nubus-pmac.sourceforge.net> people. I believe I've seen you post
there. This list is primarily for PCI-bus and later Macs. If someone
responds regarding a NuBus Mac, they're probably also subscribed to the
nubus-pmac list. However, if you seach the YDL archives, I doubt you'll find
very much beyond "I can't install YDL on a NuBus Mac."

2. If you're talking about a Performa, say so in the subject line and list
the model. PowerPC 6100 is normally construed to mean the regular Power Mac
6100/60 model. And, as I believe someone else already mentioned, getting
Linux to run a Performa is as much fun as getting a root canal. You better
be ready for massive pain.

3. AFAIK, the latest YDL distro to successfully install on a NuBus Mac is
version 2.0, and that's using a modified installer, again available from the
NuBus people.

4. One other option would be to install MkLinux <http://www.mklinux.org>.
Yes, it's still at the 2.0.x kernel level, but many people there are
successfully running it on Performas and regular NuBus Macs.

Cheers.

Pete