Re: Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")

Subject: Re: Installing YDL on Performa 61xx (was "RE: PowerPC 6100 Series")
From: sfalken (sfalken@citlink.net)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 09:33:30 MST

> 2. If you're talking about a Performa, say so in the subject line and list
> the model. PowerPC 6100 is normally construed to mean the regular Power Mac
> 6100/60 model. And, as I believe someone else already mentioned, getting
> Linux to run a Performa is as much fun as getting a root canal. You better
> be ready for massive pain.

Actually, in the case of the 61xx family, there's no difference between the
Powermac and Performas (I think the Powermac's had a 601/66, the performas
used a 601/60), that being said, my webserver is a Performa6116CD, and it's
been happily running MkLinux with Takashi's Oe's 2.4 kernels for about three
years(wll, since he released them anyway, it ran the original 2.0.38 kernel
for quite a long time), without a crash that wasn't user induced, I would
also point out that the Performa 6360 is a fine machine (writing this on one
running YDL2.0) but on the whole, yes, the performas are pure shite =]

                --Shawn