bringing eth0 down causes machine to shut down

Subject: bringing eth0 down causes machine to shut down
From: Daniel J. Patnaude (Daniel.J.Patnaude@Dartmouth.EDU )
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 12:57:42 MST

Hi-
I have a powerbook pismo and I recently fried the onboard
ethernet. So, I got an Asante FriendlyNet card, and was able
to get it working properly, sort of. After som mucking
around, I got it on the network, but here is the problem:

If I either bring down eth0 in runlevel 6 or 0, when it gets
to the bringing down eth0 part the computer shuts down
without unmounting the filesystems (very bad). Similarly, if
I ifdown eth0 on the command line, the computer immediately
shuts down (very, very bad). Then of course, I need to fsck
all my drives, which stinks.

I have tried reading the pcmcia users guide, as well as the
various scripts which interface with the card. I am running
kernel 2.4.18-ben0 (from ppckernel.org), and have 8390 and
pcnet_cs compiled as modules, which the pcmcia-tools load
for me automatically. I suspect that the problem lies with
the cardmgr, but I do not know enough one way or the other.

Any help,advice would be appreciated.

-Dan