Re: Install on Performa 61xx

Subject: Re: Install on Performa 61xx
From: Jeff Simpson (jeffs@WPI.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 15:08:39 MST

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Gordon Neault wrote:

> "... The burner that I used to make the discs is actually an internal SCSI,
> andI tried that one in the mac. It didn't work either. That doesn't much
> sense, considering that it was the drive that MADE the disc. ..."
>
> Well, there's a lot of ways to screw up a burn besides hardware problems.
> Check this link and see if it helps point to anything:

I meant that I tried using the DRIVE in the mac. It could read mac disks
in MacOS, but it couldn't read any 700mb discs.

> Generally, older CD drives (especially 1x, 2x and 4x) may have problems
> reading CDR; some drives newer that that will read CDR but not CDRW. The
> short answer is an original CD laser can't see the info reliably and a
> different design (wavelength) laser is needed to read multiple formats. In
> some cases this can be a problem with drives made as recently as 3 years
> ago; new production are fine, and cheap, so you might want to consider an
> el-cheapo replacement. If it's a SCSI internal, you might as well get a
> burner considering the cost of a player alone.

I just find it weird that I burn a disc in a scsi drive on my pc, and it
reads fine, I move the drive, and the disc to the mac, and it just sits
there trying to read and fails. I am going to try to mabe burn it on a
higher quality cdr, probably a 650mb instead of a 700mb, that might be the
cause, too

--
    ,777777'    Jeff Simpson
        77'    jeffs@wpi.edu