Re: rpm strangeness

Subject: Re: rpm strangeness
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 20:44:35 MST

>this happened after i upgraded rpm from 3.0.3 to 4. (after a short
>trip through dependancy hell)

Conventional wisdom says it is most important if not crucial that you
do a --rebuilddb immediately after this upgrade and before a reboot.
I've never cared to test how certain this is, but anecdotal evidence
on linuxppc-user list in the past says it cannot be overlooked.

Anecdotal evidence on the linuxppc-user list also says that if you
neglected to do this, your rpm database is hosed, leaving you with
the option to use the --nodeps and --force switches blindly, or
reinstall.

Also (I am much less certain about this statement), all the rpm4 rpms
I've used are part of glibc22 systems. Not sure if you can use just
any rpm4 package with glibc21 (yours) - but again, don't quote me on
this one, and I welcome clarifications.

Stefan Jeglinski