Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?

Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: When will the YDL 2.2 iso be available for FTP download?
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 21:10:14 MST

At 8:27 PM -0600 3/19/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>On Tuesday 19 March 2002 05:02 pm, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
>> Fact. OEM parts don't have a warranty. As I said, this doesn't mean
>> they're bad parts, just that the lower price you pay for them *does*
>> have implications as to the level of support you get.
>
>well - I copied the 3 year warenty text from their website (last email)
>called them to see if its valid, my receipt allows for it and the drives are
>registered -
>
>here's your apple drives - listed way down on this list of drives:
>
>http://www.driveservice.com/bestwrst.htm
>
>and with that I'm dropping it - you can now argue with yourself - while I
>enjoy the speed and power of my servers.

I'm guessing you didn't actually enter any serial numbers into the form.

As I said -- OEM means that the system integrator takes on all
responsibility for providing warranty service, down to providing
their own RMA system and replacement part inventory. The part
manufacturer is absolved of all that under a standard OEM contract.
That's the way the industry works. Try the form! Then find out how
long you can really get support from General Nanosystems. (Looks
like 30 days, plus a promise of kicking things back up the
distributor chain after 30 days, which will likely do no good on an
OEM part.)

As for the latter part, if you're going to try to slam Apple every
which way possible, you could do a better job. Apple uses almost all
of the vendors in that "top 8 brands" list, some more frequently than
others; I can see only one (Samsung) which I don't think I've ever
seen in Macs.

Because it's a constantly changing landscape where no one vendor is
always best, Apple actually performs extensive qualification testing
on each and every drive model they consider using in Macs. (I know
some of the people who do that testing.) As you'd expect, their
selections are based on a mix of the test results and economics and
practical concerns (such as availability) -- but keep in mind that
part of the economic picture for a company like Apple is the expected
warranty costs of a cheaper but higher failure rate drive, which
tends to push them away from using real crap.

That page lists Seagate as the best mfr, BTW, and Apple has recently
been shipping lots of Seagate drives. (If you buy a G4 right now
odds are you'll get a Barracuda ATA IV.) So I really don't know
where you were coming from with that snide remark about Apple being
way down the list.

--
Tim Seufert