Re: rpm strangeness

Subject: Re: rpm strangeness
From: Pat Plummer (ppat@fmtc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 06:51:05 MST

>Conventional wisdom says it is most important if not crucial that you
>do a --rebuilddb immediately after this upgrade and before a reboot.
>I've never cared to test how certain this is, but anecdotal evidence on
>linuxppc-user list in the past says it cannot be overlooked.

>Anecdotal evidence on the linuxppc-user list also says that if you
>neglected to do this, your rpm database is hosed, leaving you with the
>option to use the --nodeps and --force switches blindly, or reinstall.

Dylan, I believe Stefan is right.I've been right where you are now when
trying a brute force update between CS 1.2 and 2.0 on the ANS here a
while back.Since there was a database format change between rpm3 and
rpm4, the rebuild is essential before do anything else.Hosed my database
twice before I figured it out.A clean install is prob best -- at least
it was in my case.

Pat

--
Embrace the penguin...