Re: Am I better off doing the complete install?

Subject: Re: Am I better off doing the complete install?
From: John Schmidt (jas@netbrick.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 09:31:37 MST

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 08:52 am, you wrote:
> Just wondering if I am better off doing the complete install rather than
> the developer one. What are tha advantages to doing the complete install?
> Has anyone first done the developer and install and then done the complete
> install?

I would do a minimal install and then use yup to upgrade the packages you
need or want. You can use yup to upgrade from your installation cd. The
only issue with doing this is to make sure that you cd is mounted correctly
(I believe yup looks for /mnt/media -- however you can do yup config dist and
the last option will show you where it expects the cd to be). The advantage
to doing a complete install is that you get everything, and if you have a big
drive and don't mind a lot of stuff that you may never use then that is the
way to go. I have never had a problem with yup and prefer doing minimalistic
installs and upgrading/adding packages as needed. Many, many people have had
problems with yup so it may be a turn off initially once you get things
running.

John