2.4.19 boot problems

Subject: 2.4.19 boot problems
From: Michael J Flaherty (mikeflaherty@mn.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 21:34:06 MST

Hi,

After several attempts, by various methods, I still cannot boot any version
of the 2.4.19 (or.18) kernel on my stock 7300/200, w/320 MB RAM, 4 MB VRAM
and a fresh development workstation YDL 2.1 installation.

I have compiled from the stable source from kernel.org and ppckernel.org
(bitkeeper). I've also tried the ready made OldWorld SCSI BenH 2.4.19 kernel
from ppckernel.org. In every instance, the boot fails immediately after
setting the time. IOW, I get the normal boot messages (although for 2.4.19)
until:

                Welcome to Yellow Dog Linux

Mounting proc filesystem: OK
Setting kernel parameters: OK
Setting clock (localtime): blah blah OK

And then the penguin disappears and the machine freezes up. I can still boot
the stock 2.4.10-12a kernel just fine. I have precisely followed the
instructions for installing the kernel and modules corresponding to the
various kernels that I've tried. In both instances where I compiled from the
source, it been error free AFAICT.

In case it might be helpful in seeing what's wrong (or perhaps what's not
wrong) here are the contents of my boot and module directories. FWIW, these
currently contain the stock kernel and the ready made OldWorld SCSI Ben
kernel from ppckernel.org. I see that there are no module info or zimage
files corresponding to the 2.4.19 kernel.

My kernel upgrading experience is limited to using up2date w/RH, so I'm not
sure if this is a problem or not. BTW, yup update does nothing for me. See
(farther down, below the /boot stuff) what I'm getting from it. I know other
people have had problems with it recently, not sure if it's the same thing.

Thanks in advance for any insights,

MJF

[root@_7300_ /root]# cd /boot
[root@_7300_ /boot]# ls
System.map module-info-2.4.10-12a vmlinux-2.4.19
System.map-2.4.10-12a second zImage-chrp
System.map-2.4.19 second.b zImage-chrp-2.4.10-12a
first.b vmlinux zImage-prep
module-info vmlinux-2.4.10-12a zImage-prep-2.4.10-12a

[root@_7300_ /boot]# cd /lib/modules/
[root@_7300_ modules]# ls
2.4.10-12a 2.4.19
[root@_7300_ modules]#

[root@_7300_ /]# yup update
Reading RPM database... (100%)
Performing dependencies sanity check...
Checking for package list updates...
phyppro1.phy.bnl.gov ready

Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '//var/cache/yup/Yellow Dog Linux
release 2.1-ppc/yup.db.stat'
[root@_7300_ /]#