Re: ATI Mach64 & XFree

Subject: Re: ATI Mach64 & XFree
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 17:01:42 MST

At 12:37 AM -0500 3/25/02, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

>Agreed. On every XFree 4.0 or 4.1 or 4.2 I've tried, I cannot get an ATI
>Rage Pro card to work accelerated on an old-world box. To be specific, it
>"works" but there is severe pincushioning and offset, an annoying "blink"
>every 5-10 seconds that is similar to what happens with the degauss switch,
>and the screen goes black for that moment as well.
>
>This despite several suggestions by Ani about the config file. I just
>don't buy that it works in general. I note that I cannot speak for the
>PowerBooks, since I don't have one to test.
>
>As Bob mentions, fbdev works fine.

This sounds like it is really just incompatibility between the video
mode timings (set by the mode lines in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) and
your monitor. A blink like that is typically a symptom of the PLLs
in the monitor having difficulty synchronizing with one or more of
the crucial frequencies in the video signal (hsync freq, vsync freq).

Have you tried using fbset -x while you're in a working fb mode?
This prints out a XF86 mode specification with the same timings as
the current fb mode. You can then paste the mode spec into
XF86Config-4 (put it in the "Monitor" section), give it a unique
name, and force XFree86 to use that mode by editing the "Screen"
section and listing only your mode for each depth.

--
Tim Seufert