Re: ATI Mach64 & XFree

Subject: Re: ATI Mach64 & XFree
From: Michael Hackett (at217@chebucto.ns.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 21:31:19 MST

On 2002-03-25 00:38, Bob Beaton wrote:

> FWIW, I've had similar problems on my 8500's running the Mach 64 card.
> I've only been able to get the frame buffer device to work. It's
> reasonable, all things considered, for normal office work.
>
> For my 8500 setups, I've often found it necessary to ensure that the
> Mac side is setup properly before booting into Linux. Use the MacOS
> Monitors control panel to set your pixel addressability and color
> depth as desired or available.
[...]

Sorry if I'm a little confused here, Bob. Are your suggestions for
getting the console driver to work, or the XFree display? It sounds
like the former, but I'm having no problems in that department (other
than having to run in 8-bit mode or some of the cursors are invisible).

My boot message is similar, and it seems that the console ATY driver is
working fine. But as you and others have found, the accelerated X
driver is just not working. In my case, it won't let me launch, due to
the reported problems in the driver's hardware detection. I'm pretty
sure I have the video mode for the monitor set properly, as it matches
the one in the console driver code.

> [root@grdzero /root]# cat /proc/cmdline
> root=/dev/sdb8 video=atyfb:vmode=15,cmode:8 video=ofonly

BTW, doesn't this mean that the ATY console driver is =not= being used?
Or am I confused again? (Gonna happen a lot in these early stages.) I
don't seem to need the "No video driver" checkbox enabled (and it
doesn't seem to make a difference with the XFree problem).

-- Michael