Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del

Subject: Re: Ctrl-Alt-Del
From: John Nelson (john@computation.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 12:57:07 MST

Actually you're right on that... on Intel/AMD boxes I think it's the
BIOS that intercepts the signal first and passes it on to the OS. On
Macs its a similar model. Any way you look at it, this is "old
thinking" decended from the need to pull the user's fat out of the fire
when the OS fails... Linux and Unix don't need it.

-- John

mike cullerton wrote:

> actually, it's a function of the hardware, not the operating system.
>
> On Thursday, March 28, 2002, at 12:26 PM, John Nelson wrote:
>

>> I sure hope not! The "three finger salute" is "small thinking"
>> that's a remnant of a home / game computer mentality. Linux and Unix
>> come from a secure and mature operating systems model, not game
>> machines. There may indeed be a shortcut in Linux, but if there
>> is... I'm disabling it. I'd rather not expose my work to the
>> tampering or damage that a shortcut would provide.
>>
>> -- John
>>
>> Conan C. Albrecht wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I haven't been
>>> able to find it on the archives. What is the PPC Linux equivalent
>>> to Ctrl-Alt-Delete in 386 Linux? In other words, is there a key
>>> combination that will restart my computer without me having to su to
>>> root and type reboot?
>>>
>>> If it helps, I have a TiBook with YDL 2.2
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

John T. Nelson President | Computation.com Inc mail: | john@computation.com company: | http://www.computation.com/ laboratories: | http://www.computation.org/ _____________________________________________________

Microsoft news: http://www.computation.com/News/

Fight the SSSCA Bill: http://www.petitiononline.com/SSSCA/petition.html

The EFF's take on the proposed SSSCA Bill: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010921_eff_sssca_alert.html _____________________________________________________

"Those that would give up a necessary freedom for temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety." -- Ben Franklin