Some notes on Yellowdog 1.2 (was Re: Hopefully, a couple of straightforward questions...

Subject: Some notes on Yellowdog 1.2 (was Re: Hopefully, a couple of straightforward questions...
From: Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 22:21:46 MDT

At 5:41 PM -0600 5/1/2000, Dan Burcaw wrote:

>Only install what you need or want to try. Again use gnorpm to determine
>what to try.. The Tasty Morsels stuff is not as well tested as the rest
>of the distribution.

Well, heck. That ties in nicely to something I've been meaning to
post. I've been doing some whacking on 1.2, and here are some notes
on what I've found.

First, two tasty morsel's notes:

o the MySQL on Tasty Morsels is very out of date (3.20.something). It
ought to be at least 3.22, or the 3.23 alpha (which is quite stable,
I compiled and installed 3.23.14). MySQL compiles nicely on YD. I
found this one a big strange given that YD plus the database
availability in its ads...

o I tried to RPM the java compiler suite, and rpm refused,
complaining that a library prerequisite was missing. I couldn't find
that library on the CDs, so I gave up since that wasn't important to
what I'm doing right now...

Other stuff:

o I was surprised to find there wasn't an included POP or IMAP
daemon. I downloaded and installed qpopper off of freshmeat fine, but
that seems like it ought to be part of the standard release.

o No comsat daemon? why not?

o The apache RPM is missing fastcgi. That seems to be a weird one ot
leave out, because it's quite commonly used.

o sendmail 8.10.1 compiles and installs nicely on YD. And seems
stable, and has some nice new features.

o I've also installed GNU queue 1.12.8; seems to work fine.

o And I've finally gotten my new MLM, sympa (2.6.1) and it's web side
(wwsympa) working. It seems to be fine under YD, although wwsympa
wants fastcgi.

o No NTP stuff? it'd be nice if YD had

(on the other hand, this punch list is pretty tiny. You should see
what I do to solaris and AIX to get them to my "standard"
environment....)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"