Re: Some notes on Yellowdog 1.2 (was Re: Hopefully, a couple of straightforward questions...

Subject: Re: Some notes on Yellowdog 1.2 (was Re: Hopefully, a couple of straightforward questions...
From: Dan Burcaw (dburcaw@terraplex.com)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 22:34:43 MDT

> o the MySQL on Tasty Morsels is very out of date (3.20.something). It
> ought to be at least 3.22, or the 3.23 alpha (which is quite stable,
> I compiled and installed 3.23.14). MySQL compiles nicely on YD. I
> found this one a big strange given that YD plus the database
> availability in its ads...

We can't ship any other version of mySQL as they are not GPL but
more strictly licensed.

> o I tried to RPM the java compiler suite, and rpm refused,
> complaining that a library prerequisite was missing. I couldn't find
> that library on the CDs, so I gave up since that wasn't important to
> what I'm doing right now...

if you're talking about gcc-java, there is a missing dependency. The rpm
was built as part of the standard gcc srpm but because of that dependency,
we put it on Tasty Morsels. I never did locate the prerequisite. If anyone
knows, I'd love to hear about it..

> o I was surprised to find there wasn't an included POP or IMAP
> daemon. I downloaded and installed qpopper off of freshmeat fine, but
> that seems like it ought to be part of the standard release.

There is.. install the 'imap' package. (contains both daemons iirc)

> o No comsat daemon? why not?
>
> o The apache RPM is missing fastcgi. That seems to be a weird one ot
> leave out, because it's quite commonly used.

I'll look into these two.

> o sendmail 8.10.1 compiles and installs nicely on YD. And seems
> stable, and has some nice new features.
>
> o I've also installed GNU queue 1.12.8; seems to work fine.
>
> o And I've finally gotten my new MLM, sympa (2.6.1) and it's web side
> (wwsympa) working. It seems to be fine under YD, although wwsympa
> wants fastcgi.

Good to know..

> o No NTP stuff? it'd be nice if YD had

Network time stuff? install 'rdate'

Regards,
Dan

Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
 Yellow Dog Linux
 http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

 Black Lab Linux
 Advanced Workstations and Parallel Solutions
 http://www.blacklablinux.com/