Re: bash: make: command not found

Subject: Re: bash: make: command not found
From: Tom Tarka (tommy@mp3.com)
Date: Tue May 02 2000 - 12:07:43 MDT

John Boyarsky wrote:

> Ok guys,
>
> I have tried AGAIN AND AGAIN to install something by unpacking and
> compiling
> it, but i get stopped at the same step.
> I'm trying to install a bunch of games. (Heck, if I''m gonna learn this,
> might as well do so with something fun right?). First I need Mesa. I
> have the
> Mesa-3.2.tar.gz. I unpacked it into the /root folder. Went into the
> console
> and changed directories to that folder.. then....
>
> Inevitably I do the "./configure" in the correct folder, and it runs
> thru a
> bunch of items, answering yes and no (mostly yes) then I type "make"
> and get
> the reply "bash: make: command not found"

type: "which make"

and it will tell you if the "make" command is in your $PATH.
if it's not -- and it should be -- try typing:
/usr/bin/make

to check out your path, type: echo $PATH
and see if "/usr/bin" is included in that string. if it's not,
edit your .bashrc file and add "/usr/bin" to where your PATH
is set, or add a line:
export PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH"

this assumes you use bash...

    -t