Trying new kernels

Subject: Trying new kernels
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 09:29:52 MDT

JBS> In particular, if I do 'ping ibookhost' from another system, I get 5 -
JBS> 10% packet loss. Ditto if I do 'ping someotherhost' from the iBook.

I tried installing the 2.2.15pre20 kernel that John Buswell posted at
iBookLinux.net [1], but it didn't seem to help. However, I'm not 100%
certain that I did it right, so I wanted to double check with the smart
folks on this list. I'm a professional Unix sysadmin, but I'm relatively new
to Linux, and I'm not familiar with all the details of how it does its thing.

Partition 8 on my internal disk is a 32 MB partition for yaboot stuff, where
I have yaboot.tbxi, the 2.2.15-2.9.0 kernel that came with YDL CS 1.2 (named
vmlinux), and the 2.2.15pre20 kernel (named vmlinux-test). My yaboot.conf
file looks like this:

  image = hd:8,\\vmlinux
      label = linux
      root = /dev/hda13
      novideo

  image = hd:8,\\vmlinux-test
    label = linux-test
     root = /dev/hda13
     novideo

When I boot, I can do 'linux-test' at the yaboot prompt, and it seems to
come up ok. 'uname -r' returns 2.2.15pre20, so that looks good. The only
weird thing is that it complains during boot about not being able to write
to /lib/modules/2.2.15pre20, and sure enough there's no such directory;
there's a /lib/modules/2.2.15-2.9.0, but that's it. That made me wonder if
there was more to it than just swapping in the kernel file itself... Any tips?

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)

[1] http://www.ibooklinux.net/php/ibooklinux.php3?single=26+index=2