Fix (?) For 16-bit Video on Rev. A iMac on CS1.2

Subject: Fix (?) For 16-bit Video on Rev. A iMac on CS1.2
From: Waldo L. Jaquith (waldo@waldo.net)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 13:32:01 MDT

Folks,

Having just dealt with a problem that others have tried to remedy, I thought
I'd post my stupid fix.

I haven't been able to get better than 8 bit colour on my Rev. A iMac. I've
got 6MB of VRAM (upgraded) in it, and I'm running CS1.2. I tried a series
of edits to /etc/X11/XF86Config, and none of them helped. In fact, they
were a pain in the ass to undo, truth be told.

My fix? I ran Xconfigurator and checked just one box: 1024x768 at 16 bit.
Worked fine. I could swear that I'd done that before...

Anyhow, if you have this problem, here's your fix. It's nothing to write
home about, but I figure it's worth e-mailing a few hundred like-minded
geeks about. :)

Best,
Waldo