Re: G4 video problem

Subject: Re: G4 video problem
From: Maurice van Steensel (mvanstee@baserv.uci.kun.nl)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 13:49:52 MDT

On 5/5/00 at 1:49 PM, brucealeg@ngent.net (Bruce A Leggett) wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to install YDL onto a new G4 450 Sawtooth. I downloaded the 1.2
> server and got the install going. For the most part it was very easy and I had
> no problems. The installer detected all my hardware and things went ok.
>
> I get into my new system and type startx and when KDE comes up the video is
> scrambled. I have to hit control-apple-delete to get back to the CP.
>
> I am not sure if this is happening because of a faulty monitor refresh
> selection or the supposeded poor support of Apples AGP. I am using a Dell 17
> inch monitor. I used a custom selection and used the same setting as I dp on
my
> intel Linux box. Only the video is scrambled.
>
> The worse part is when I go into X11R6/bin to run Xconfiguator the program 8
inwill
> not run. I even tried using ./ in case of a path issue, but it wont run. So I
> have to install it all obver again to change my settings.
>

> Can someone with a simular setup help me out on what to do?
>
> My setup:
> G4 450
> 128 mb ram
> Dell d1028L 17 inch monitor (I have all my machine on 1 monitor via switch
box)
> seperate IBM hard drive for linux.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Bruce
I use LinucPPC on my 450 but I suppose it's pretty much the same. One exception
thoudg - YDL uses XF86_FBDEV and LPPC Xpmac. There are afaik two ways to fix
it:1 easy: get Xpmac.special (kevin hendricks made it) and a recent kernel -
BenH's 2.2.15pre14 will do nicely for a G4 unless you need printer support and
use Xpmac.
2. Upgrade to XF86 v 4. The XF86_FBDev that's in there supports the Rage128 in
your G4