Re: ZIP Drives

Subject: Re: ZIP Drives
pac1@tiac.net
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 09:17:50 MDT

pac1@tiac.net wrote:

> root wrote:
>
> > Alright i tried it with sda4, and it seemed to work, now i set it up for
> > msdos, put in a dos formatted zip

I may have missed the point of the previous posting. If you've got it working with
vfat but are having trouble with dos formatted disks, the problem is that the
kernel you're using does not have support for the "dos" file system. Maybe the
entry in /etc/fstab should be MSDOS and not dos. Try that.

I'd also like to know what is necessary to add a file system to a kernel. Can
filesystems beyond the one you use to get the kernel going be in modules or must
they be compiled in. I think all mine are compiled in but I'm wondering.

How do you add a file system to a kernel? There is an option n the .config file.
Is there anything else needed?

Here's what's in the .config for the blue G3 kernel 2.2.14 pre9 rev1

Note the names:

 FAT
MSDOS
VFAT

also UMSDOS which is shown as not set. What's UMSDOS? is that what your'e
after?

Inline attachment: from .config

<snip>

#