Trouble with xterm

Subject: Trouble with xterm
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 22:07:17 MDT

Environment: YDL CS 1.2 on an iBook.

I use fvwm2 as my window manager, and when I launch an xterm, I get an error
if a particular X resource is set. If I have

  xterm*eightBitInput: false

and then launch an xterm, it pops up very briefly, disappears immediately,
and the shell I launched it from gets

  xterm: fatal pty error 23 (errno=22) on tty /dev/pts/3

If I set

  xterm*eightBitInput: true

then it works fine. I normally set xterm*eightBitInput to false in my
.Xdefaults file, so that the keyboard's meta keys pass ESC-char sequences to
XEmacs windows.

Anyone else run into this, have any idea what might be up here, or have
suggestions for a fix?

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)