Re: Linux Book

Subject: Re: Linux Book
From: Patrick Armbruster (patrick@travis.ch)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 08:28:47 MDT

Apropos Linux Books...

In German there are many 'cheap' entry level books on Linux (and several
other subjects). They're not really good for advanced users, but *very* good
if you're trying to become one. :)

And that's because of this:

They show you some basic stuff, and along with doing what they tell you to
do, you learn to use the command line a bit. You learn about man-pages,
howtos and other useful helpfiles.

When I started using Linux as our primary server operating system, I bought
the O'Reilly books, which are *very* good - AND I bought a cheap book about
the installation of Red Hat, SuSE and Slackware - all in a 200 pages book.
You can read it while on the computer or on the train or something, and
after it you know a lot more than nothing. You learn how to learn. :)

Patrick