Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.

Subject: Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.
From: Peter J Muhlberger (peterm+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 10:29:17 MDT

Hi folks: I just bought a firewire G3 PowerBook and am interested in
getting involved in Linux development using this machine. I have no
need for the firewire ports because I don't do multimedia. After
looking over the Yellow Dog web site I had a number of questions. I'd
really appreciate any info you could provide.

Questions:

Can YDL be installed on a firewire G3 so long as I don't need the
firewire ports? If not, does anyone know when a version of YDL will be
available for this G3?

Any rumors as to when Gone Home will be ready?

Are there any cheap Windows or DOS emulators for YDL? There are a
couple stats packages on the PC I can't live w/o....

Is it possible to switch back and forth between YDL & MacOS, w/o running
MacOS w/in YDL?

I know nothing about Linux at this point, so a few questions here. Can
Red Hat Linux (RHL) for the PC read YDL files? If I develop in Perl,
PHP, and Java Server Pages on YDL, will the programs run on RHL? In
general, how compatible are packages and their documents between RHL &
YDL? Can I network a YDL Mac w/ a RHL PC?

Thanks!

peter