Re: Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.

Subject: Re: Newbie questions--firewire G3, compatibility,etc.
From: Paul J. Lucas (pjl@barefooters.org)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 11:07:31 MDT

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Peter J Muhlberger wrote:

> Can YDL be installed on a firewire G3 so long as I don't need the
> firewire ports?

        Yes; however the stock kernel can not be used; see:

                http://ppclinux.apple.com/~benh/

> If not, does anyone know when a version of YDL will be available for this G3?

        YDL is irrelevant: it's the kernel that matters. YDL is to
        Linux what a car dealer is to a car: the dealer just sells cars
        and puts on after-market options, it doesn't make the cars.

> Is it possible to switch back and forth between YDL & MacOS, w/o running
> MacOS w/in YDL?

        Sure: reboot.

> Can Red Hat Linux (RHL) for the PC read YDL files?

        Ordinary files: yes. Unix is Unix is Unix. Binary
        executables: no. This is true for all OSs across different CPU
        architectures.

> If I develop in Perl, PHP, and Java Server Pages on YDL, will the programs
> run on RHL?

        Yes.

> In general, how compatible are packages and their documents between RHL &
> YDL?

        100% Linux is Linux is Linux.

> Can I network a YDL Mac w/ a RHL PC?

        Yes: ethernet is ethernet is ethernet.