Re: partition 7

Subject: Re: partition 7
From: michael (michael@andsoforth.com)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 17:32:57 MDT

On Wed, 10 May 2000, David Peers wrote:
> for me. I am running linux on a second internal IDE drive (hdb) Half of
> the drive is formatted for linux and I would like the remaining 1GB of
> space to be visible to both the Mac OS and the linux os. I have tried
> using hfs utils and it confirms that I have formatted the partition as
> HFS and it gives me the size of the volume I have created. However, when
> I fire up Mac OS I can't see the drive. Anyone have experience in this
> area?

Having never done exactly what you are asking about, I probably shouldn't
be answering, but you might try partitioning the drive using a Mac disk
utility to create/format your HFS partition and leaving the linux chunk
unpartitioned/unformatted. Make sure to set the partition to "automount".
Then when you run pdisk on /dev/hdb, simply use the "c" command to create
a linux partition with the empty space that is left. This is the approach
described in the YDL manual that I used to get my sole drive to be dual
OS. Needless to say (?) you need to do a backup of any data you want to
save, this process will wipe the drive. Also, this will put the HFS
partition at the beginning of the drive. This shouldn't make a
difference if you are using BootX as your loader, since you can direct it
to boot from /hdb2 (or whatever the first non-HFS partition turns out to
be on that drive).

If you already have data on the drive that you don't want to be forced to
reinstall, you might search the mac archives online to find a drive
mounting utility. The only one I've ever seen/used is from LaCie
(www.lacie.com - software is "Silver Lining" from the support area), but
it has some hardware type warnings, so I'm not sure if it's appropriate in
your case. Maybe Mac includes an application that does this with Mac OS,
but I've never noticed.

-michael@andsoforth.com