Re: partition 7

Subject: Re: partition 7
From: Conrad M. Hirano (cmh@umail.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 19:32:27 MDT

on 5/10/00 8:10 AM, David Peers at dpeers@pittstate.edu wrote:

> Okay,
> I am trying this again, the archives really don't have much of an answer
> for me. I am running linux on a second internal IDE drive (hdb) Half of
> the drive is formatted for linux and I would like the remaining 1GB of
> space to be visible to both the Mac OS and the linux os. I have tried
> using hfs utils and it confirms that I have formatted the partition as
> HFS and it gives me the size of the volume I have created. However, when
> I fire up Mac OS I can't see the drive. Anyone have experience in this
> area?
> Also I renamed the partition to 'MacDisk' in pdisk and labeled as
> 'HFS' by using the C command.

Did you use HFS or Apple_HFS? It should be Apple_HFS.

I've noticed also that sometimes the Mac OS will not mount an uninitialized
HFS partition, because obviously it can't, but still not ask you whether you
want to initialize the disk, etc. However, if you run Disk First Aid, the
partition appears, and you can initialize it from there.