Re: Local server (AppleTalk, Ethernet)

Subject: Re: Local server (AppleTalk, Ethernet)
From: John Duarte (john@keylitho.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 12:09:49 MDT

Casper wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to set up Linux as a local file/httpd server. How do I do this?
>
>atalk starts at startup
>eth0 says OK at startup
>do I need more?
>
>When I choose AppleShare from the Chooser on a different Mac I don't
>see anything. (connections are OK as Mac's do work together).
>linuxconf has quite alotta settings, which ones do I need to adjust?

I found that even though atalk says it starts up ok that when I checked its
status it was stopped. I got it to run correctly and get all the volumes to
show up in the chooser by inserting a 'modprobe appletalk' at the beginning
of the '/etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk' file. If I executed a 'modprobe appletalk'
after startup netatalk would work but it wouldn't show up in the chooser.

Hope this helps.

John

John Duarte
Key Lithograph