netscape is STILL totally locking the machine up!

Subject: netscape is STILL totally locking the machine up!
From: Robert Fout (rfout@damien.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 15:58:40 MDT

Hello all,

About 10 min. ago, Netscape did it's amazing trick of freezing Linux. How, I
have no idea. I am using KDE, I started Netscape on the 3rd virtual desktop,
and proceeded to www.linux.com, switched to the 4th virtual desktop to run other
programs, and about 5 seconds after switching, the hard drive made the clicking
sounds when it is reading/writing, then it just froze cold. Had to hit the power
button to get it to restart (instead of the reset button, which I read causes
problems for MacOS when you use the reset button). Anyways.... after the reboot
back into YDL, fsck dropped me into bash to run fsck manually. I noticed in
particular that a Netscape cache file was illegally using blocks (among other
problems with the filesystem). What is the danger that I lost data from just
hard rebooting the machine?

Here's my specs:
B&W G3/400, YDL CS 1.2 Kernel 2.2.15-2.9.0, 128 MB RAM, using a 2 GB partition
on the internal IBM IDE HD for /, and a 128 MB partition for swap. Using the
versions of KDE and Netscape that came with CS 1.2.

Since Netscape also occasionally froze my machine when I used CS 1.1, what are
the chances that this is a hardware issue, especially since the machine just
froze, with no program/kernel crash?

Should I re-install CS 1.2 and check for bad blocks when I go create / and
swap, or could this issue not be a HD issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bob