Re: HD partition help?

Subject: Re: HD partition help?
From: Michael Long (protean1358@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 01:44:43 MDT

on 5/11/00 10:49 PM, Ryan Griffith at rgriffit@csulb.edu wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what "HFS" stands for? When I try to partition my
> hard drive with drive setup on MacOS install CD, I don't get that
> option. There is a "UFS", but I don't know what that stands for
> either. Which one should I use? There are also "Linux Home" and "Linux
> Opt" options. Also, the manual seems to make a big deal about BootX but
> says specificall that I can only use yaboot. What's up with that? BTW,
> I have an iMac DVSE. Any answers anyone can provide would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Pre-Newbie

    HFS stands for Hierarchial File System. Do Not delete your apple
untitled partition while in pDisk. Since you have a DV special Edition only
yaboot will work for you. And since you will be using yaboot, refer to Josh
Smith's E-mail called Configuring Open Firmware to Dual-Boot an iBook. I
used this info to guide me along on my G4 Dual-boot configuration. While in
pDisk, create your new partitions from the @1544 Block. The length of your
partitions is only a matter of preference. Follow Yellow Dog Manual for
limits of swap and minimums for root partitions.
    Linux is very fun. Have Fun.

 --
Michael Long <protean1358@earthlink.net>