Re: Moving Linux hard drive to another machine. Possible?

Subject: Re: Moving Linux hard drive to another machine. Possible?
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 11:58:48 MDT

on 5/12/00 12:40 PM, Ed Jaeger at ed.jaeger@bgcorp.com wrote:

> Try renaming /etc/conf.modules to /etc/conf.modules.old - this will
> leave all the modules out upon reboot. See if this gets you going.

Thanks, maybe I can do this. Of course I'll have to move the drive back to
the old machine :-P

> Why did you want to move one hard drive between two machines again?
> Maybe there's a better solution...

I wanted to simply put the drive into the B&W G3 to avoid having to erase it
utterly, then do a tar restore from backup. This might not work anyway. I
would probably have to reinstall YDL 1.2 with an installer (FTP for me- I
only bought 1.1) then painstakingly restore all my modifications from
backup. It just makes sense to move the disk as is, if it is possible.

I don't have the disk space on another drive to transfer the contents. And I
really don't want to work on the beige G3 anymore- it doesn't have a Rage
card and I tire of moving back and forth between my two machines.

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com