Re: unable to install on G4 AGP

Subject: Re: unable to install on G4 AGP
From: Philippe Moreau (tnours@CAM.ORG)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 23:25:50 MDT

1- Forget BootX on G4's, use Yaboot instead

2- To boot the installer properly on a G4, boot directly on the CD by
holding the "C" key at boot time. By doing this you will boot using
Yaboot.

3- Get the latest stable Kernel and modules...

http://linuxcare.com.au/paulus/kernels.html

I chose 2.2.15pre19

A- Put these files on any partition of the 1st drive you have on your
IDE chain (Master drive) or (hda)

System.map
vmlinux
yaboot.conf
yaboot.tbxi

Note "yaboot.conf" and "yaboot.tbxi" can be found on the
YellowdogLinux Install CD

Edit the "yaboot.conf" so it contains the following...

init-message = "\nWelcome to Yellow Dog Linux!\nHit <TAB> for boot
options.\n\n"
timeout = 5
default = linux

image = hd:11,\vmlinux
     label = linux
     root = /dev/hdb10
novideo

Note: "hd:11" is the partition where I have my "vmlinux" on my hda drive.
          "hdb10" is my root partition

4- You're ready to boot into Linux, Reboot you're machime with these
keys pressed... [Command]+[Option]+[O]+[F] . When the OpenFirmware
interface is up (White screen with prompt) type the following to boot
with Yaboot...

boot hd:11,\yaboot.tbxi

5- Install "modules-2.2.15p19.tar.gz" by placing the file at the root
level "/" and doing the following command "tar -zxwf
/modules-2.2.15p19.tar.gz"

Here's a hint on how to mount an HFS partition into Linux to copy
your "modules-2.2.15p19.tar.gz" file... (just in case ???)

mount -t hfs /dev/hda11 /mnt
cp /mnt/modules-2.2.15p19.tar.gz /
tar -zxwf /modules-2.2.15p19.tar.gz
umount -t hfs /dev/hda11 /mnt

>I just bought a new 400mhz G4 and installed a second ATA hard drive
>(4GB) to install YDL onto. I can' get it to recognize the USB keyboard.
>I've seen the post about the guy that got his working by rearranging
>devices. I've only ot the mouse and the keyboard and the ports in the
>back of the machine. I've exhaused all possible cominations. I've also
>updated to BootX1.2fc1. Any suggestions? I've got some expeience with
>Linux on Intel, this is my first Linux PPC foray.
>
>Alan

     *** ***
     ************
      **********
      **********
      **********
       ********
        ****** Philippe Moreau
      **********
    ************** PhilM@T-Nours.com
       ********
       ******** http://www.cam.org/~tnours/
       *** ***
      *** ***
      *** ***

   In a World Without Walls and Fences, Who need Windows and Gates?