Re: Install Problems on a G4

Subject: Re: Install Problems on a G4
From: Donnie Fischer (donnie@mac.com)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 01:14:36 MDT

More than likely you will experience a few quirks. The problem I was having
was that I was trying to mount 1GB partitions for root [/] usr [/usr] and a
few others. The majority of the YDL install is placed on the /usr
partition. That's why I elected to just use one root and let YDL install
whatever it wanted on it and let it make it's own directories.

There is something however that refers you directly to technical support if
you get the time zone error. It's in the YDL install guide. I have no
expertise in what that error may be if it's not a space related issue.

Then again, if you were able to configure everything else cleanly and exit
the installer cleanly, you may be good to go. I've approached Linux from a
learning perspective, and I fully expect to have problems and learn from
them as I go. I personally have installed YDL 15 times, and it is finally
coming together, but it took me a while to find out what I could and could
not do.

So if it does end up giving you grief, dump it and reinstall. Another
resource that has helped me out tremendously is the Red Hat Linux Bible.
YDL is based on Red Hat components, so aside from the Mac specific install
instructions in your guide, everything else should be pretty much the same.

Have Fun!

Donnie Fischer
donnie@mac.com

on 5/13/00 4:56 PM, csmartin@acsu.buffalo.edu at csmartin@acsu.buffalo.edu