Re: Proftp Server startup

Subject: Re: Proftp Server startup
From: Darron Froese (darron@fudgehead.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 10:48:49 MDT

on 5/15/00 10:39 AM, John Duarte at john@keylitho.com wrote:

> I am trying to get the Proftp server going. I uncommented the line in
> /etc/inetd that reads:
>
> ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.proftpd
>
> and run /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart.
>
> When I run "ftp localhost" I get the following message:
> "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"
>
> What else do I need to do?

Try these:

1. Take a look in the /var/log/messages file to see if there have been any
messages logged there. Sometimes you will see a message logged and that will
give you the exact problem.

2. Make sure that your /etc/hosts.allow file allows connections from
localhost - if it doesn't add this:

ALL: 127.0.0.1

Give those a shot - if there are messages in the /var/log/messages related
to ftp - post 'em here.

--
Darron
darron@fudgehead.com