gnumeric spreadsheet

Subject: gnumeric spreadsheet
From: Dave Peers (dpeers@mail.pittstate.edu)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 16:33:27 MDT

I have never been able to use the gnumeric spreadsheet application which
came with my cs 1.2. When I launch the program I get the error message:
Gnumeric failed to find a suitable default font
Please verify that your Gnome-print installation and that your fontmap
file
(typically located in /usr/local/share/fonts/fontmap ) is not empty or
near empty

I looked at my fontmap which is located in /usr/share/fonts/fontmap
notice the local directory is left out, and it shows the following:
<?xml version"1.0">
<fontmap>

I don't know what any of that means and can't find anything on this list
or on the gnome site. Should I move the font map file to the local
directory?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave