Help! (XF86config messed up)

Subject: Help! (XF86config messed up)
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 12:43:50 MDT

SP == Stephen Paullada <yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com>

SP> I was messing with the monitor resolutions in XF86Config and apparently
SP> screwed them up. My inittab is set to ID:5 to launch X on boot. Now when
SP> I reboot, X trys to launch, can't find a valid monitor sync/resolution
SP> and then relaunches itself in an endless loop. How do I get the server
SP> to just launch at the command line so I can fix the XF86 config file
SP> using a text editor. I tried the YDL 1.2 rescue disk, but I obviously
SP> don't know how to navigate to the correct file to edit. It only lets me
SP> look at files on the CD, not my linux HD.

It may only have files on the CD by default, but you should be able to mount
your Linux filesystems and fiddle with them. Do a 'df' to see what's
mounted, and if your Linux root filesystem isn't mounted, try

  mkdir /tmp/mnt
  mount /dev/hdaN /tmp/mnt

where /dev/hdaN is the device name of your root filesystem (like /dev/hda7;
it'll be /dev/sda-something if it's a SCSI disk).

Once you've got that mounted, you sould be able to edit /etc/inittab and
change the default init setting to 3.

I did the same thing at one point, but fortunately I'd installed SSH on the
system, so I was able to ssh in remotely from another system, and fix
inittab from there.

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)