Re: Netinstalls, netinstall, net install

Subject: Re: Netinstalls, netinstall, net install
From: Josh Smith (irilyth@infersys.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 21:09:47 MDT

ds> Oh... so it is essentially, RedHat? So the install would be similar to
ds> the HOWTO's on this topic? Building up the file system from one
ds> partition at a time, including the copying of the contents of each file
ds> system, like /usr, as individual files (via manual ftp)? Creating the
ds> device tree with command line instructions, etc?

Nah, it's not that bad. I don't know when you last tried Red Hat, but YDL
1.2 is a lot like RHL 6.2, including the installer. You make some decisions
about where you want your partitions and how big, and which packages you
want to install, but it takes care of creating the filesystems and copying
all of the files into the right place.

If you don't want to buy the CD before you try it, you can download an ISO
image and burn it onto a CD (if you have access to a burner). I haven't
tried installing via NFS or the other network methods, but my impression is
that they're similar to installing from the CD.

The PDF installation manual at www.yellowdoglinux.com has a pretty good
description of what installing from CD is like.

Red Hat also has Kickstart, which works great for completely over-the-net
installations (plus a boot floppy). I don't know if YDL supports Kickstart
at all -- Dan?

I'm not familiar with *BSD, so I don't really know what netinstall looks
like for comparison purposes.

                                      -Josh (irilyth@infersys.com)