Re: Impossible with YDL on plain G4? (was: Re: FAQ and Yaboot)?

Subject: Re: Impossible with YDL on plain G4? (was: Re: FAQ and Yaboot)?
From: david bonde (i97_bed@i.kth.se)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 03:55:07 MDT

At 14.26 -0600 00-05-19, Jeff Massung wrote/00-05-19, 14.26 -0600
skrev Jeff Massung:

>It won't boot after typing this ;) it needs to save, shutdown and reboot -
>then it will boot into linux. After typing <snip> type: "shut-down". Then
>turn your computer back on. Does it work?

No, strange enough, it booted into another MacOS-partition with a
valid system folder I have. This is how I did:

1. Shut down from MacOS
2. Started the computer with alt-cmd-o-f pressed to get into OF
3. Typed 'setenv boot-device hd:8,\yaboot.tbxi' in the prompt
4. OF returns 'Ok'
5. I type 'shut-down'
6. Computer shuts down
7. I restart the computer and does nothing
8. The computer boots into MacOS

The root level of my hd:8 contains (among other things):

vmlinux
yaboot.conf
yaboot.tbxi
a valid system folder

The 'yaboot.conf' looks like this:

timeout= 5
default = linux
image=hd:8,vmlinux
label=linux
root=/dev/hda14

If I look at the hd:8 in Hard Disk Toolkit the following information is given:

Volume Name: System 2
Volume Type: Simple Volume
Security Level: No Security
Serial Number: GT301004000
Creation Date: tis 14 dec 1999
Creation Time: 20.02.51
Last Mod Date: tor 24 feb 2000
Last Mod. Time: 21.40.51
vrefnum: -1
Drive number: 8
Driver Refnum: -54
Where: (ATA Bus 2 Dev 0, v3.2.5)
Expandable Capacity: 499.98 MB
Allocation Block Size: 8.0 KB
Total Members : 1
Current Members: 1
---------- ------
Array Index: Single
Device Address: IDE:2 master
Stripe Size: N/A
FWB Service Version: N/A
FWB Driver Version: N/A
Start Block: 1025344
Length: 500.0 MB

The computer is a plain G4 with a zip, a DVD and the OEM IDE-drive. I
have removed all Linux-kernels from the System folder in hd:8. The HD
is partitioned into 6 HFS+-partitions (i.e., MacOS). You can have a
look at the partition table on
http://www.dsv.su.se/~david-bo/partition.gif (it's a screenshot from
Hard disk toolkit, it looks the same in fdisk, but it's easier to do
screenshots from within MacOS...).

Do you need any more information?

Tia
David