Re: More G4/yaboot

Subject: Re: More G4/yaboot
From: david bonde (i97_bed@i.kth.se)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 10:56:57 MDT

At 20.42 -0400 00-05-21, Michael Wilkinson wrote/00-05-21, 20.42
-0400 skrev Michael Wilkinson:

>linux (that's what the label thing is for in your config file 'label=linux')
>

>if you don't type anything and wait (assuming you have linux set as
>default in your config file; 'default=linux') YDL will load
>automatically.
>
>you're almost home,

It booted, with a kernel panic...'Unable to mount root fs on 03:of'.
Any ideas? Does this mean that there is something weird with my
installation?

Cut from the manual:

>Configuring a Dual-boot System
>In order to dual-boot a yaboot capable system, you may copy the
>following text into a new text file in the root directory of your
>Linux boot partition:
>< C H R P - B O O T >
>< C O M PAT I B L E >
>iMac,1 PowerMac1,1 PowerBook1,1 PowerMac2,1 PowerMac3,1 PowerBook2,1
>< / C O M PAT I B L E >
>< D E S C R I P T I O N >
>Yellow Dog Linux Bootloader
>< / D E S C R I P T I O N >
>< B O O T- S C R I P T >
>" get-key-map" " keyboard" open-dev $call-method
>dup 20 dump
>5 + c@ 08 = if
>" Booting MacOS ..." cr " boot hd:8,\\:tbxi" eval
>e l s e
>" Booting Yellow Dog Linux ..." cr " boot hd:8,\\yaboot_0.5" eval
>t h e n
>< / B O O T- S C R I P T >
>< / C H R P - B O O T >
>You need to replace the hd:8 with the open-firmware device and
>partition number of the Linux boot partition. This should be the
>same device that you specified above in the yaboot.conf file.

What should this text file be named? And can anyone explain 'You need
to replace the hd:8 with the open-firmware device and partition
number of the Linux boot partition.'? I usually boot MacOS from hd:9
and Linux from hd:14, what should I replace 8 with?

David

Another cut from the installation guide:

4.6 - Boot Linux from CD-ROM: the yaboot Method
4.7 - Boot Linux from Mac OS: the BootX Method

Why isn't there a 4.8
4.8 - Boot Linux from harddrive: the yaboot Method?