Partitions? Preparing for Linux...

Subject: Partitions? Preparing for Linux...
From: Peter J Muhlberger (peterm+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 20:08:38 MDT

I now finally have my G3 Powerbook. My department is poised to place a
bunch of mac communication software on the powerbook, software I need
soon. I plan to get YDL in the next couple weeks & install it.

This raises some questions. I've tried to figure out answers from the
YDL install manual, but am not certain I'm drawing the right conclusions.

First, if my computing dept. puts the software on my powerbook before I
install YDL, will the software have to be reinstalled? I plan on having
both MacOS & YDL on the machine. I suspect the mac software doesn't
have to be reinstalled as long as I create a partition for YDL before
installing the software? It looks like YDL might even be able to reside
on the same partition as the MacOS, but I wouldn't be able to use
certain programs. Are this programs valuable? Finally, how big a
partition should I create? I've got 12GBs to work w/ & would like to be
able to run MacOS, a PC emulator (maybe NT?) & Linux. I gather I can do
a reasonably complete install of YDL in 1.5GBs, but how much space do
Apache & other products take up? How much space would be wise to allow
for user-created files? Or can Linux save its files on the Mac
partition?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks, Peter