Newbie problems with install of YDL onto a Umax S900 Mac Clone

Subject: Newbie problems with install of YDL onto a Umax S900 Mac Clone
From: David A. Lewis (dlewis@smartt.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 20:56:47 MDT

The subject line just about says it all..

I downloaded the ENTIRE directory at
ftp://download.sourceforge.net//pub/yellowdog/champion-1.2/

which is now resident on one of my external 9.1gb SCSI drives... I'm
ready (I think) to install it onto an external 2.1GB 7200 rpm Quantum
drive, but I can't find anything that looks like an "installer" to
get the process started... Not even a "ReadMe" file that details the
process...

Where is the "on" switch???? ;-))

---the PDF file, on the YellowDog website doesn't seem to address how
to get *started*... but assumes that I'm already inside something
called a "RedHat" installer...

HELP.... :-?

Is there a website URL that is dedicated to Mac "newbie"
installation/config. questions for YDL???
(I've got 15 years using Mac's professionally... with the Mac O/S....
so this is embarassing!!! :-]

---and please don't just tell me to give up and wait until OS-X
client comes out later this year...

Is there anybody with a Umax S900 200 mHz 604E chip machine like
mine that's got Linux up and running??? HOW???

thanks (frustratedly, so far) in advance!!!