Re: Partitions? Preparing for Linux...

Subject: Re: Partitions? Preparing for Linux...
From: Paul J. Lucas (pjl@barefooters.org)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 23:43:05 MDT

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Peter J Muhlberger wrote:

> First, if my computing dept. puts the software on my powerbook before I
> install YDL, will the software have to be reinstalled? I plan on having
> both MacOS & YDL on the machine. I suspect the mac software doesn't
> have to be reinstalled as long as I create a partition for YDL before
> installing the software?

        Several Unix partitions, but yes.

> It looks like YDL might even be able to reside on the same partition as the
> MacOS, but I wouldn't be able to use certain programs.

        Not true.

> Finally, how big a partition should I create?

        Again, you need more than one. My recommendations:

                http://www.best.com/~pjl/personal/powerbook/disk.html

> I've got 12GBs to work w/ & would like to be able to run MacOS, a PC emulator
> (maybe NT?) & Linux. I gather I can do a reasonably complete install of YDL
> in 1.5GBs, but how much space do Apache & other products take up?

        It depends on what you're going to be doing with them. If you
        have a large document root, then a lot.

        For /usr/local, I'd give it at least 2 GB.

> How much space would be wise to allow for user-created files?

        This is an unanswerable question since you've given no
        information on how you intend to use it.

> Or can Linux save its files on the Mac partition?

        It can, but you don't want to do that.

        - Paul