PB2000/400 and YDL 1.2

Subject: PB2000/400 and YDL 1.2
From: J. A. Wilcox (jaw9q@unix.mail.virginia.edu)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 16:57:49 MDT

To anyone who might be able to help:

I have my HD partitioned into 6 various Mac file systems and about 1.5 G
of unallocated for YDL 1.2.

I've followed the instructions for Firewire PB install, namely the
instructions at the FAQ-O-Matic with the important variation that the
install files are on the hard drive. I must do this because the installer
does not recognize the YDL CD-ROMs I've burned, and these have been the
ISO images from the site. The installer tries to intialize the CD-ROM and
complains that the disk does not seem to be a YellowDog Linux disk: this
even when I substitute my purchased CD-ROMs of Champion Server 1.1.

I have the installer files at the root level of the yaboot Mac partition
as YellowDog/ with "base" and "RPMS" inside.

Everything goes well, including the point where pdisk does its thing
and gives me its error. Then I boot again back into the firmware, but when
the installer asks me where the files are, the cursor is in between the
drive list (which lists no drives and lists it as 0 K) and a line that
asks for the location of the YellowDog linux files.

I've tried hd10/YellowDog, dev/hda10/YellowDog, YellowDog, whatever. No
matter what I do, the installer reports a segmention fault (the screen
looks none too pretty) and then goes through some spew routine and tells
me it's safe to reboot.

I have a feeling pdisk is misbehaving. I'd love to install off the CD-ROM
and if anybody can tell me why the installer can't see that I do have a
YellowDog disk in the CD-ROM drive, that might avoid all this "where on
the 'nonexistent' hard drive are the YDL install files."

Finally, if this is a problem with my flavor of Pismo 400, then I guess
I'll wait until YDL offers an "official" fix for the Firewire PBs. I know
you're all working hard, but if you could expedite this, I promise I'll be
your best friend :)

Best and thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Johnnie A. Wilcox
wilcox@virginia.edu